Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A parental confession

I, Brenda Pluid, hereby admit that I was using TV as a babysitter for my kids. Whenever Dora, Peppa Pig, or Sheriff Callie was on my kids would sit ever so quietly while I was able to conquer most anything. Laundry, check. Mopping, vacuuming, dusting, check. Cooking meals, oh my what a fantastic distraction it was to be able to cook without them asking me every two seconds if they can help, as they stick their hand near the hot stove, or if I am done yet, etc. etc.

Then one morning I was bringing Paxton downstairs and the first thing out of his mouth (which is mostly "Mama, I hungry. Make food please." was "Mama watch teeeevee's, pleeeeeease." and it did not stop with the one request. Over and over every 5 minutes he was asking for me to turn on the TV. This was when my mom guilt majorly set in and I knew something had to change.

Let me say that I am not someone who believes in no TV at all. I personally LOVE my TV shows that I DVR and I would never rob them of seeing Elsa and Anna again or learning fun spanish from Dora (which really has taught them some spanish). What I am saying is that for me it was becoming a crutch. I was letting the TV do more parenting than I was myself.

I was texting with my friend and she told me that within the last month she had stopped letting her boys watch TV and has noticed a huge improvement in their obedience, imaginations, creativity, etc. Hearing all of this was exactly what pushed me to unplug the tv as well as the iPad and bring on the good ol fashion playtime.

It has been 3 weeks since I made this decision and it has honestly been the best one for all of us! First off as I am currently typing this my two kids are upstairs in Harper's room laughing hysterically and playing together and have been doing so since they woke up from nap time. As my friend mentioned, I too have noticed a major improvement with their imaginations and creativity. They are asking to have more books read to them and Paxton, my crazy short attention span boy, is actually sitting down and focusing on things. He will help me build puzzles or will sit and listen to not just one, but multiple books. Harper is doing a better job of having patience and understanding for Pax. It also has obviously immersed me more as their mother to let go of the fact that my house may not be perfect all the time and really get down on the floor and play and imagine with them which has been the best part of the whole situation.

When I first began this I did not allow them to watch any TV or have any devices for about 5 days just to break the expectation. When we do turn it on they get to agree on one show and watch that (usually around the time I am cooking dinner if they are getting too crazy and making it difficult for me to cook.) and then they turn it off once the show is over. There is very little whining to turn it on at all anymore.

I thought this transition would be a lot harder than it has been. It was so simple to turn on a show and then have that one show turn into four shows back to back (especially since those damn kids TV channels show what's coming up next on the bottom of the screen so the kids know what is about to come on!)

Anyway, I wanted to get it out there that this has been a great change for us. That I was someone that was guilty of an indulgence of TV because it is what was easy for me to keep them occupied but now they are playing together so much better and occupying themselves when I need it.

Oh parenting, you are a constant battle of change and figuring out what is best...

No comments:

Post a Comment